Before we let Terri Schiavo die in the name of “her rights,” there are a few questions we should have adequate answers for:
- Why does Michael Schiavo insist that Terri is brain dead, even though she is breathing on her own?
- After Terri was injured, why did Michael Schiavo insist that she have no speech or physical therapy, and insist that she be kept in a darkened room?
- Why was the only level of care that Michael Schiavo gave Terri was making sure that her face was made up every day?
- Why does Michael Schiavo pursue the course of death when Terri’s parents have offered to care for her in their own home?
- Why does Michael Schiavo remain married to Terri, even though he is living with – and has children with – another woman?
- Why was Michael Schiavo so incensed to learn that Terri was eating semi-solid foods – Jell-os, puddings, yogurt – and not aspirating them?
- Why is Michael Schiavo known for browbeating the staff of the facility and insist that his orders for Terri’s care – and not the doctor’s – be followed?
- Why was a restraining order issued against Terri Schiavo’s parents, preventing them from seeing her?
- Why was a gag order issued in 2003 that prevented any nurse who worked with Terri Schiavo from saying anything positive about her condition – and why were nurses who were pessimistic about Terri Schiavo’s condition not restrained from saying anything?
- Why are nurses at the facility allowed to circulate a petition in favor of ending interference with this case – while those who speak in favor of Terri Schiavo’s life are having their jobs threatened?
- Why are some of these nurses now risking or forfeiting their jobs to speak out about Terri Schiavo’s condition?
- Why are the statements of these nurses about Terri Schiavo’s condition and level of responsiveness being ignored or downplayed?
- Why aren’t feminist organizations speaking out on behalf of Terri Schiavo and her “choice?”
And here’s a bonus question. Is it just me, or does Michael Schiavo appear to leave a trail of slime wherever he goes?